View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 02:08 PM

Neither way in correct. But I have found the ladder method of adding shims to the pocket to work better. In the one image you show The guy may have had to remove wood from the pocket or the pocket just very well may have needed big shims because they were there in the first place or never was done properly.

Usually you just need to shim off the lower inside part of the dovetail. I find it easier to just set the shim in the pocket then set the neck in dry to make sure it locks well, if not then I use scissors or a razor to modify the shim and try again till I get it right. There is a feel to it, you don't want it super tight because once you put glue in there everything swells up. So you just get it right, glue it and clamp it down.

One of the first times I did this job I had to steam off a neck that I set just a few millimeters short of where it should be because it was too tight to start and as I was pushing the neck into the pocket it just froze and no manor of force would take it apart, it was THAT fast!