View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
Re: JT's reply:

I'm currently using a light set of EFT16's on a flattop. I don't really like flatwounds, but I wanted the extra tension (these are ~10 lbs more tension than say regular phosphor bronze in the same gauges.) to exercise my hand a bit more than usual.

The odd thing is that I really like them on a 'short' scale guitar. The sound, to me, is like EJ16's that are a couple days old. Not bad at all.
Interesting. It's an unusual thing, I think, to find someone that likes 'em on an acoustic. Never tried to use them on a short-scale guitar, though.

As for building strength in your hand; do you really think they make a difference? For instance, in my case, I have to be careful not to inflame the tendons, as I am prone to carpal tunnel, and because of it, I use low-tension strings, and primarily work on flexibility, speed, and fretting as lightly as possible. I adhere to this regimen, and feel that strength will come as an end result. Like doing a lot of reps with light weights, instead of aiming for increased mass with heavy weights.

So far, it's been working well. Little to no swelling and pain, increased speed, better dynamic control, and my hands are stronger than they've ever been. And you?

... JT