View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 AM

well...the southern jumbo and the J-45 are essentially the same guitar as far as wood combo goes, but the SJ has different appoinents, fret markers etc....

The OJ(original Jumbo) has adi top and most likely a higher grade of hog b/s than the standard J-45 or SJ. The OJ would be built with premium woods....The OJ of course started it all off, and what eventually becmae the J-45.

the AJ was born two years later in '36, essentially out of the need to compete with the Martin D-28, which it utterly failed and kind of vanished for a long time till demand brought it back.

So the difference between modern and TV is the premium of the wood choices, and perhaps some other appointments to justify charging a way higher price. by the way, there is an incredible deal on a used J-45 in the agf classifieds now...i dont know really how much better a TV would sound than a stock J-45 out of Bozeman....i know i loved the tone of my wife's J-45(was not a tv)....

and i think the OJ, the AJ, and maybe the '42 J-45 will ahve adi bracing....but i am only 85% sure....

i know for me, there is no acoustic like the AJ....but i love rosewood, and to me it is the epitome of a cannon. to my ears, no martin reaches the sound....but that is just me........the J-45 will have a tighter response but an AJ will go a lot keeper across the tonal range....still, i hve heard that the OJ, if you can find one, is just the ultimate....never played one....but adi always helps.

this would be a great question to ask to the gibby gurus over on the gibson guitar forum....they know a lot more than this layman typing to you now...

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r