View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
For playback in the DAW after recording and for general listening to music I use and recommend Grado 225 (or 325) open back headphones. I have the 255i and 325i headphones. The latest ones are 225e and 325e.

https://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneRe...endations.html
Thanks for the review link! I had tried the Grado 125's when I was searching for my initial set. I don't like things ON my ears as my ears get very hot immediately. In fact my GF bought me a (inexpensive) Sennheiser wireless headset for the bedroom and I had them on my head for 30 seconds before putting them back in the box and exchanging them for Sony that is over the ear. Over the ear just works better for me.

I bought my M50's after auditioning 5 different sets. I was looking for something flat that would be good at evaluating sound rather than enhancing (distorting) it to any great degree (like Beats). I wanted to have a set that sounded ok plugged into the back of my SS amp and didn't leak when I was recording.[Still have to deal with latency a bit]

The Beyer Dynamic 880 looks interesting. But as I'm reading if it is true that headphones are not good for mixing perhaps I should just stay with what I have and use my computer speakers. The Altec Lansing speakers that I have are surprisingly good and seem to translate very well for what they are. On my other computer (just to the right of me) I have Monsoon speakers, which I thought were really good, but the Altecs seem to have a truer, richer sound. My fear with regular monitors is that I'd have to spend a lot to get a good pair and not sure if I could drive them loud enough to be good without driving the neighbors insane. The pity of it all is that I have a pair of Polk 10 speakers and a Nakamichi receiver in the closet with zero room to even set it all up. I should really sell it but can't seem to part with it, hoping one day I'll have a place that I can just let it all loose.

Thanks for the input guys!
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS