View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I look forward to sharing my build thread here. Mike said he was about 15 months out when I signed up down in Santa Barbara, so I don't anticipate taking delivery until early 2019. I'm in no hurry, although I'm sure the anticipation will get stronger and stronger as the date approaches.

I haven't specifically picked out any woods yet. I really want to go with cocobolo and Mike has a board of it he needs to resaw so we can take a look at it. It has nice straight grain with some sapwood, so I'm hopeful it will tap well and also be sweet to look at--nothing compared to the figure in yours though, John! That is really some awesome coco.

I plan to go with a blue spruce top as it seems to be a signature element with Mike's guitars, and I really loved the sound it produced on the Meridians I played. I do need to make a trip down to Mike's shop within the coming months so that I can pick out a top from his supply. That will only ratchet my anticipation level up. I also want to incorporate the Baranik adjustable neck feature as well--so simple and effective for changing the action on demand.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the playability and tone of the Baranik's I played at SB really sold me. As you noted, the tone was so resonant and even across the entire fretboard. The aesthetics are simple yet stunning--I found the whole playing experience of them to be sublime. And in the short time we emailed prior to and spoke together at SB, I found Mike to be a super guy as well.

I'm really looking forward to this build experience and receiving this guitar. Thanks for letting me chime in here!
Both John and I can attest to Cocobolo and Blue Spruce to be an excellent combo. It is the most resonant guitar I have ever played. I can't remember the scale for sure, but I think it's 26.5-27.5, so sometimes I like to leave it in C modal, and slap harmonics in that tuning can ring for no kidding minutes. The guitar is literally exactly was I was hoping for, and am not kidding when I say they'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. If only I had the skill to do it justice