View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

Tom2;

I have been fascinated by your contributions to this forum thread. Your level of precision amazes me. I am sort of a slop-a-long cowboy, feeling his way to what works. You, on the other hand, have ferreted out the parameters of 500 years of R&D with the classical guitar.

But I also think your analysis misses one part of the that 500 year history--trial and error. I think it may be possible, with new materials, with hollow necks, with new build, to create something that may advance the development of the guitar.

I am not disputing your findings. My first introduction to the classical guitar came at a concert by Montoya--it was ravishing. I have held that sound in my mind for 50 years--it is hard to match. None of the CF guitars have yet matched that golden sound. they are close, but not yet there.

As you hypothesize, the RS Parlor nylon is very close. In terms of tone, I think Emerald and Blackbird have also come very close. They have all done so outside of the exact parameters you've established.

As I noted earlier, if I had another X10N made it would conform a bit more to your parameters. In the meantime, I have really enjoyed the exploration of new forms, materials, and builds in the CF guitar revolution.

I would really like for you to order your ideal guitar with Emerald. Alistair is very flexible and he will make what you want. How can you resist?