View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 10:45 AM

There are two primary approaches to string spacing. One is to make the centers of the strings equidistant. The other is to make the edges (outside diameters) equidistant. I have always used equal distance between centers on my own instruments, instruments I have made for others and on repairs. (Equal distance between strings, rather than centers, makes no sense to me, since one plays the centers, not the spaces between the strings.) Others seem to prefer equal distance between strings. It is up to you.

Beyond that, it is exactly as Ned described.

If you want the kind of (unnecessary) accuracy that involves measuring in 128ths of an inch, make life simple and buy a $20 digital calliper.

A $10 X-Acto knife handle with saw blade will allow you to rough in the slots. Final sizing and depth of the slots can be using a $10 set of needle files: you don't need to buy gauged sets of files. The saw kerf is sufficient for at least the first string and, depending on string diameter, the second, as well.

30 years ago, I was taught a simple method for accurate (equal center) layout. I tried to interest Stew Mac in the idea, but they made it abruptly clear that they had zero interest in it, without even inquiring what the idea was. Probably, within a year, a knock-off of it would have been available for $2 from China, including shipping.