Thread: Vietnam Guitars
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakhan View Post
Actually the Vietnamese luthiers can be rather good! I was in Hanoi last year and visited THan Can workshop and was impressed with the quality of the upper end range. I did a photo essay and a write up here
Like owners of Ayers and Baden guitars that are being made out of Vietnam I will also concur that there is no shortage of excellent guitars and great workmanship coming out of Vietnam these days. While I have never owned either one of the brand above, I played a number of Baden at my local shops and have always been impressed by their workmanship and tone (and yes the understated aesthetics appeal to me too). My friend in the UK owns an Ayers slope shoulder dread and cannot be happier with it also. So it clearly shows that when dedicated luthiers who are skilled in their craft and go the extra miles to make a good guitar, it really shows no matter where they are made.

I think that the problem with Antonio Tsai's instruments is that the manufacturer simply do not care about what they are making. They are peddling guitar-shaped product to the rest of the world in hopes of making a quick buck. Unscrupulous merchants like this can be found all over the world, and it's more symptomatic of the shady end of the music business than the origin of the guitars itself.

Last edited by barrangatan; 06-17-2010 at 07:26 PM.