Thread: Regret
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 10:27 AM

Naaaahhhhhhh......

Dude (or dude-ette)....you way over-processing this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
...Then I had to face the professor. A severe, scowling man with black bushy hair, bushy eye brows and deep, dark eyes that looked through me. He made sure that I became fully aware that he had studied under the great Andre Segovia. It all was too much for a young boy to endure. Did I mention, he had studied under the great Andre Segovia?.
The stereo-typical image of the stern, disapproving classical music instructor is almost as old as music itself. I find it largely counter-productive. I could also tell you stories about some "big name" classical players and their teaching styles as well as conduct with their students which would shatter your romanticized notions, but this thread is not the place for such dialog. Segovia had a number of significant accomplishments, but I find much of his teaching style -- as evidenced by some existing YouTube videos of his master classes -- to be generally un-helpful to the student. (There is a lot more to say on this subject, but again, this is not the place). My point is that you probably *think* you missed a lot more than you really did.

Quote:
I went off into another direction.......and "hired" one of the region's best known jazz guitarists who would become my teacher for several years. I learned a fair bit over the years he taught me. I enjoyed it greatly and appreciated his pleasant, light-spirited personality. We meshed.
Wait? You found a teacher who you liked, learned from, and enjoyed lessons with? Then you won! While lessons should have an element of challenge, of being pushed to grow etc., they should also be satisfying and enjoyable. This sounds like you had a great experience with this instructor.

Quote:
But my one regret is never having had extended, focused classical guitar lessons.......
......It is my strong belief that those taught and immersed with a strong classical training have skills and knowledge and approach even the best of non-classic players lack.....
I really think you are making a big generalization, and I have had the sort of classical guitar instruction which you seem to crave.
Skills? Yes, classical guitarists tend to develop very strong physical playing skills. This comes from time and dedicated practice, but it isn't magical fairy dust. Dedicated practice is key, just like most challenging things in life.
Knowledge? Whoa there. In my experience, most classical guitarists possess very little music theory knowledge. I have known players who could execute very impressive classical pieces, but were unclear as to even the key of the song. God help them if they had to transpose to a different key. Most advanced classical players are extraordinary note-readers, but many cannot improvise very well. As a general rule, "classical playing" emphasizes the playing of the notes on the page exactly as they are written (i.e. "correctly"), but not so much about improvisation.
Approach? Competent classical players are pretty self-disciplined. It simply takes a lot of time and commitment to practice pieces and to build a repertoire if one wants to play by memory.

I just don't think you should dwell on some vast missed opportunity as though it is no longer available to you. Pathways for improvement -- even improvement through self-study (did you know that Segovia considered himself to be largely self-taught?) are available. I especially do not think you should delude yourself in believing that there is some arcane mystical knowledge that classical-trained guitarists uniquely possess; it ain't so. End of sermon.