View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

My first cf guitar was a Rainsong AWS1000...

The short version is that after having a Taylor damaged by an airline employee and having to pay for setups every so often due to seasonal changes or moving etc, I was interested in other options but wasn't ready to pull the trigger just yet...

The year I moved from the NYC area to Austin, TX, I had purchased a new Martin JC16re a/e guitar and was in love. Amazing tone, full gloss finish, Fishman Aura system, it was great!

After moving to TX, I started traveling around in weather that could be super humid, in baking sun, and could hit 110 degrees at times. The Martin just wasn't happy about this even after I had a setup done. It was a great instrument but she was so sensitive that I decided to find a more stable option. Enter Rainsong...

The hybrid Rainsongs weren't out yet and the all carbon models were above my budget. Then I happened to be on the MF site and saw the Rainsong AWS1000 with deluxe gig bag for $1499 with free shipping. Reviews were mixed but I ended up pulling the trigger anyways...

The guitar was lite, comfortable, and the gloss finish was excellent! The tone and action were stable which was such a nice change! Not having to worry about the guitar was liberating. I did miss the warmth of the Martin as well as the Larrivee and Taylor I had owned previously, but, the trade offs were certainly worth it!

It sounded great plugged in, however, unplugged it did have a small sort of compressed voice, at least when compared later to an all graphite Rainsong, hybrid Rainsong, and CA etc. Still though, a very nice instrument!