View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 AM

Default The world's worst acoustic?

So, I have a candidate. I was at my sister in law's on Saturday and saw a Fender Squire Acoustic beginner guitar package sitting in the corner of her living room next to the piano. I got a little excited and asked who was taking up guitar? She had bought it for Christmas and no one had even taken it out of the packaging yet.

I opened it up to tune it and though I had entered the twighlight zone. The B string when tuned open, would be completely off playing a chord, went back and forth then realized the nut was split and the string was way down in the neck.

The action was so hight that it was not buzzing and guitar was an absolute mess! The finish was a paint or epoxy that was very dimpled, made the back of the neck look like it was clay. The top looked like a poplar board with no grain, but it was a laminate anyway. The frets were dangerously sharp hanging off the bottom of the neck. The low E tuner was coming out of the headstock and of course the split nut I mentioned and the action was painfully high.

I am just wondering how excited a prospective player could be trying to figure out such a mess? Shame on Fender putting out such a crappy package!