View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joost Assink View Post
Aside from the effect on tone, does scale lenght affect playability?
It does. For example, on electric, I find that I have greater ability to play with intonation and bending nuance on short scale than I do on long scale. You can adjust, but you will probably find that you have a "home" scale for certain activities.
Quote:
Well, obviously a short scale (say 24.8 inch) is easier to play than a long(er) scale like 25.7 inch, when played side by side, but don't your hands get used to the scale length after a while?
"Get used to" is a relative term. In my case, I can play either, but I have, medium-length fingers that find long scale to be a stretch. I find certain basic moves to be much harder to accomplish on long scale due to the stretch and the leverage needed as a result. Fast lead playing is usually heavy on muscular memory, and the memories are different for the different scales. Also, if you watch electric players play vibrato on 24.75 and 25.5, you'll often see a difference in their technique brought on by the higher tension of the strings. A player will accomplish much of his vibrato on 24.75 with nothing but wrist motion and the neck will remain relatively stationary. On 25.5, you are much more likely to see elbow involvement and neck motion on vibrato.
Quote:
Doesn't the short scale difference disappear when all you play is short scale? I'd assume your hands get 'lazy'. A case of 'use it or lose it'.
I wouldn't know about that because it has been so long since I stuck to one scale.
Quote:
I used to play electric guitar and thought fretting could be difficult sometimes. Now I play 25.7 inch in standard tuning and I got used to that too. I picked up my strat after years and years recently and played it for a few minutes. It felt like it was strung with rubber bands...
A good percentage of the rubber band syndrome could be due to smaller gauge strings and lower action. Of course, the lower tension requires a much more precise touch to accomplish accurate intonation. Slight sideways pressure will change the pitch of the string.
Quote:
What are your thoughts on this, assuming all your guitars have the same scale length and string gauge?
I play in three different scales, 24.75, 25, and 25.5. I find that whatever I learn a song in is the most comfortable. I also find that whatever scale I spent the most time on for a particular activity is my home there. For example, I spent about twenty years playing lead electric on 24.75 and that is definitely my home scale for lead work. I learned most of my fingerstyle on 25.5 and, until I need to do a single line linear run, it feels like home. 25 even is a good compromise.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)