View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 01:56 PM

I've used SuperGlue on minor cuts and those pesky skin-splits on my fingertips and it doesn't last for more than a day or two (at most) if you don't play your guitar. It detaches even sooner once you start to play. SuperGlue might get you through a gig in a pinch, but it's definitely not the proper solution. Also, as previously mentioned, it stings like hell.

What really does the trick is a medical/surgical adhesive called Dermabond. The doctors used this stuff on both of my kids instead of stitches and it works great. It not only closes and seals the cut or wound, it actually assists in the healing process. It used to be available only to doctors, but it's now commercially available if you look for it. It doesn't sting and will stay in place until you've healed. The excess then slowly detaches after about 10 to 14 days.

Liquid bandage is another option, but it's basically for minor skin cuts where there's not much stretching of the skin or pressure on the affected area of your body. Liquid bandage is only a fraction of the strength of Dermabond and doesn't last very long on finger cuts or fingertip splits once you start to play your guitar.

The last option is a veterinary version of Dermabond called Vetbond. It's pretty much the same as Dermabond, but has blue dye added to it so the Vet or pet owner can easily spot the treated area under an animal's fur. It's sinificantly cheaper than Dermabond, but you gotta walk around with blue fingertips for a couple of weeks, which looks kinda strange.

You can buy Dermabond here...

http://www.amazon.com/Dermabond-Topi.../dp/B002TSIP9O

It ain't cheap, but it's the proper medical treatment for finger cuts and deep fingertip splits.