View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM

My experience has been if you string your guitar well, placing the proper bend at the end of each string, they will seat will forward of the pin whether slotted or not.

On my BTO Taylor which is unslotted I can remove the pins and the strings will stay seated at tension. To be honest when I string my guitar more effort is put into it than is really neccesary as I always check with my mirror to verify the ball ends are seated properly, and not resting against the pin. If one is out of sorts then I correct it.

I slotted two Martins I owned using the loaner kit that was being passed around over at UMGF some time ago. It was neat to do, but rather scary. It is an easy way to mess up a bridge and bridge plate if you make the slots to large. (which I did on the first of the two). If you really want to do it and and dont have the ability to practice first on an instrument of lower value, I would recomend having a very trusted Luthier do it.

Also keep in mind even though it seems counter intuitive it will void the warranty on the bridge of your guitar.

Last edited by wooglins; 11-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.