View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusiathread View Post
I'm curious about these Monel strings. I'm a recent convert and big fan of JP pure nickel acoustic strings, I can only assume that they're in the same ballpark in terms of tone and color. Anyone have experience wit Monel and Pure Nickel and can offer a comparison? Thanks.
I've had the new Martin Monels on my 1976 D-18 for several months now, and on a HD-35 for several weeks. They are a "warm" string, there is no new-string or bronzy brightness, no loss of volume, and to date no diminution of liveliness. They are the best string I've ever had on the D-18 (and I've tasted all 31 flavors at one time or another), and just as good (but a different good, a nickel good) as the 80/20's usually strung on the HD-35.

I like the JP Pure Nickel strings, they had been my go-to nickels until the Monels came along. And I would not be unhappy to use them again if the Monels were to go away. To my ears, the Monels are a tad warmer and offer a fuller, rounder, less "harsh" sound. But yes, they are in the same ballpark. But as long as I have a choice, the Martin Monels will be chosen.

Generally speaking, nickel strings do not sound like 80/20 or 92/8 bronze, and there really is no common ground on which to compare them. For most of us, nickels are a "specialty" string, rarely carried by local string-and-pick stores except in the electric guitar section, and either you love them or hate them - there is rarely a middling consensus.

The reason I like their sound is succinctly summed up by two bluegrass guitarists:

1. Peter Rowan: "nickel strings don’t have the sweetness of bronze or the smoothness of brass, but they have a very neutral sound, and you hear the real tone of the instrument."

2. Tony Rice: prefers them to the “bright ringy sound” of bronze or brass strings.

Bottom line: as my father-in-law used to say whenever the family took sides on an issue, De gustibus non est disputandum, a sentiment that always applies to personal taste especially regarding strings.