View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 06:56 PM

Default Red label yammies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinodinho View Post
Hi guys I was just wondering, why is it that Yamaha "Red Label" guitars are so expensive for an all laminate guitar. Also, why are they so desirable?
There's been a bunch of these threads about Yamaha red labels and laminates vs solid etc.

(Trying to keep it simple; here goes MY 2 cents worth.)

Yamaha laminates were made to prevent cracking, not to make a cheaper guitar. Yamaha made guitars in Japan at the Nippon Ghakki factory in Hammamatsu (I'd I spell that right guys?) and the labels were several colors prior to the move to Taiwan with a lot of their production. The red labels included the fg75, 110, 140, 150, 160, 180, and the fabulous FG300.
The 150 was famous at Woodstock with Country Joe playing one with a rope for a strap. The fg180, a hot item worth a lot these days, is a solid copy of a Martin D-18, with a terrific sound. The FG-300 is a real good take on the Gibson Hummingbird, and has a country sound that will make you cry.

The early Taiwan yamahas had red labels and are close in quality and sound, but do not say Nippon Ghakki on them.

Yamaha chose great wood, and learned how to do laminates in a great way.

Why are they expensive and desirable? Good stuff always is!
Martin HD-28, 2012-000CNylon
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas
(25 others- Garrison, Seagull, PRS, Squier 51, Dynamic)

BigMike sez:
I tried to be good, but there were just too many options.