Thread: 1973 Martin D28
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratz View Post
Hi everyone. A friend has asked me to try and sell a guitar for him. Its a 1973 Martin D28 and he says it is in good to vg condition. It has a little wear because it was played. He also said something about it being special due to the size of the sound hole size being larger and the practice was discontinued after that model (Never heard of it myself) .
He says he has had it appraised and in writing from a luthier.

He wants me to try ebay and I have no idea what to sell it for.

Thanks for your time.

Scratz, I'm going to be charitable and assume that your friend is merely repeating a load of horse puckey that somebody told him . But the truth is that:

1.) Early 70's Martins are probably the least sought-after of any guitars Martin has ever built;

and

2.) An enlarged soundhole is something that Martin would have been appalled by during that era, and wouldn't have done even on a special order, much less as a stock feature on any of their regular production guitars. It wasn't until MANY years later that the continuing popularity of Tony Rice and the customized Martin he owns more or less forced Martin to make it an option and to have enlarged soundholes on a few limited edition instruments.

So, without any question, this guitar got fiddled with by someone between the time it left the factory and the time your buddy acquired it.

My sincere advice to you is that you tell your friend that you'd rather he sold his own guitar. This is not going to be the best friendship-building enterprise you could engage in.

Wade Hampton Miller