View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 05:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
Tim McKnight: I'm not sure what you mean by carbon fiber buttress braces, are they the braces that run from the neck and end block to a vertical beam on the sides? I saw a pic of them once. Are they supposed to diffuse long-term tension? Do they bend over time? Any issues with them?. What tone are you after Tim, if I may ask..
I install two round carbon fiber hollow tubes (similar to a lightweight graphite golf shaft). These run diagonally from the top of the neck block to the stiffest point on the guitar body, the waist. These buttress braces stop all deformation in the neck block / upper bout assembly of the guitar rim. The braces stop all rotational toque in the neck block, compression forces induced into the top and longitudinal tension in the back.

No they do not bend. I can stand on the neck block, before the top is attached and the upper bout doesn't move, at all. These two tubes, mounted in the right places, adds a LOT of strength. We have lots of builds on the AGF and f you search "McKnight Guitar Build" you will see lots of pictures, showing what I am trying to describe in words.

I am not after any particular tone. McKnight Guitars doesn't have a particular "sound" and the day they do is the day I retire my chisels. I voice each guitar specifically for each individual client. I can build true vintage to golden age modern. Each one of our guitars are unique in every aspect from tone to visual aesthetics. Sorry, I didn't intend my reply to sound like an infomercial.