View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 08:18 AM

Default Irish Bouzouki - Am I Crazy?

First, I am not a mandolin player.... I'm really some sort of troubadour who can accompany himself with a guitar, passably at times, so there is always a slight hesitation if I say I'm a guitar player.... but since I've been playing guitars for 40+ years, I've been exposed to all the variety if instruments, opinions, etc... when it comes to acoustic guitars.

But an order got placed yesterday for a Trinity College TM 375, an Irish Bouzouki. I've gotten hold of Irish Bouzouki chord charts (lots of variations!) and read about how these instruments are used, and listened to music in which they are being played. I've been considering one semi seriously for a couple of years, but now one will be delivered in a few weeks.

I would like to just get exposed to opinions, observations, etcetera of a wide variety, just to begin to develop some landscape upon which to learn this instrument. I am mainly a flatpicker, and will try to stretch the Bouzouki from is usual role I believe, but I want to also learn to play it as it is intended to some extent as well. Might be hard to do that solo, but I'll have some opportunity to play it in a group as well.

Please let me have it......
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD