View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 12:56 PM

My experience is that a 12x12 room with an average 7-8 ft ceiling is a real problem for recording acoustics. Significant treatment will be required primarily on the bass traps. It is doable and not necessarily that expensive. However a good approach if you can afford it is to use a real time analyzer during the treatment process. I have a Rane RA 30 RTA Real Time Analyzer with reference mic. However if you have a computer / audio interface, there is cheap software that does the same thing. You can set up using your mics, although a mic designed for this has a very flat response. It is best if you can generate pink noise at the position your guitar would be at and treat the room until the spectrum is flat. Works best with two people, but not required. Then you can adjust to taste from flat by modifying the room treatment. Time consuming process with trial and error but without the spectrum analyzer and pink noise it is a crap shoot. Once dialed in, your recordings will be balanced and switching mics won't have an overwhelming negative impact that mic position can't correct.

My Acoustics

1971 Martin D28
1973 Guild D50
2014 Taylor 814ce Ltd Coco
2015 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2018 Ibanez Artwood AC240 (Nashville string setup)

Last edited by coconuts; 11-22-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: wrong model number