Thread: 12-string nut
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 10:14 AM

When Bryan Kimsey cut the nut for my old 12'er I supplied him a set of the strings I would use and told him how I tune it (low and growly). He cut each slot for the string gauge that would go in it (as you know, different manufacture's "lights" may have different gauges), I asked him to level the tops because I play a lot of slide (don't know how much difference it makes, but what the hey), and he also compensated each string of each course individually (it is the best intonated 12 I've ever played). The saddle sort of looks like a rip saw blade and it wasn't cheap, but the results are incredible.

You probably know that Chris Proctor opens the spacing on each course so he can pick strings individually or in pairs.

Edit to add that I have Colosi saddles in a couple of my guitar, I still think the nut needs to be cut for the individual git. On everything but my two Martins I have made the nuts from blanks, generally using Bryan's string spacings and depths. On the Martins the nuts were included with neck resets and I like the results so much I duplicated them on the others. I also use the StewMac string spacing gauge rather than calculating the width of the strings to add to the even spacing - slick little tool

Last edited by Freeman; 04-24-2006 at 10:18 AM.