View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 AM

Smile using sheet music or ipad music

All I can say is that I am 65 and happy to be still playing. My repertoire is from the 50's through the 90's, and I have about 200 songs in my 'book'. Yeah, I would love to be able to not have the music in front of me, but people don't really care...Honestly, they don't!

As long as you provide them with the entertainment that they are seeking, and the song sounds like it should, then everyone is happy. I use to play in a Rock/Wedding band that had sheet music for everything....The problem was that the sheet music does not tell you the nuances that made that song what it was....THE BIG SECRET: YOU HAVE TO KNOW HOW THE SONG SOUNDS! YOU HAVE TO FEEL THE INFLECTIONS, THE STRUM PATTERNS, THE SOUND.

Sheet music doesn't give you that......listening and hearing and feeling the song gives you that......

It does not really matter whether you read it or not. most of the time, I read portions of it, and Yes it might be a crutch.....but I rarely stare at the music. I look at the audience and smile and share the song with them..

....And that is my two cents!...MJ