View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
I ... discovered on reading reviews that a lot of people found that the hydrometer didn't change when putting these things in the guitar with the hydrometer in a case.
I have more to add, as a result of a conversation I had yesterday with someone who had a high humidity problem. He kept his guitar in a case, but still the humidity was high. I asked if he'd tried using silica gel packs. He said he had, but they made no difference. I asked how much he'd used. He said two 10g packs, and they soon became saturated, and the humidity was still high, so he gave up.

So at the risk of repeating myself, I feel I should spell this out very carefully:

At the start, when the guitar is 'wet', it's necessary to keep changing the silica gel packs frequently. Start with four 10 gram packs. Check them every day, and replace them once their mass has increased to 12 or 13 grams. Check the hygrometer reading every day. If it falls below 40%, take out one or two packs temporarily, because we don't want the change to occur too rapidly. The aim is to get the inside of the case (including the guitar) down to a stable equilibrium, where the relative humidiy has fallen steadily to below 50% and stays there. It will probably take several weeks to achieve that.

Once you reach that steady state, you can ease right off, check the humidity and change the packs once a week or so. But initially, frequent changing of packs and checking of hygrometer is essential.