View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
When I adjusted the saddle height, I did it with the neck perfectly flat. (7/64-5/64). With relief set at .010", I get buzzing when capoed at the 3rd-5th frets. If I loosen the truss rod to the point that the buzzing goes away, relief is around .020-.022". My frets are in perfect condition and perfectly level. I agree with Wozer. Im not sure the .010" standard is a one size fits all specification.
Go over John Arnold's post again. Your approach to setting the saddle height at near zero relief, then adding relief later is a counterproductive approach. When you go back and add relief without changing anything else, you're adding relief and raising the action height as a result. Set the relief between 0.005" and 0.010", then lower the nut slots to as near fret height as possible, then adjust the saddle. If you have buzzing raise it. If you have no buzzing and the action feels to stiff, lower it until you get buzzing, then go back up a bit. You may use a couple of saddle blanks in the process.

I think you'll find you can eliminate buzzing and have an easier playing guitar if you use that approach. IME the assumption that lots of relief is necessary for hard playing is incorrect. And FWIW, I live right in the middle of Bluegrass country so I'm not unaccustomed to pickers with a heavy right hand.