View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
OP asked in passing whether the bridge plate needs to be replaced. Picture I saw depicts the bridge plate split right across the string pin holes, from one side to the other. Does that not suggest a new bridge plate is a good idea? I haven't noticed anyone else commenting, so I thought I'd raise the question.

Thank you, for pointing that out. I was just doing some detail work on the top cracks, while watching the TZ marathon, and saw the thread notification. There is a line straight through the peg holes. A fairly gentle probe with a palette knife shows about 1/32" intrusion.
As I have been working it seemed like a "Plate Mate" would be a good idea. I liked the design and it's intended purpose. I don't like the cute marketing names some items get tagged with; it sets off my spidey-sense.
The Bridge Dr. is a good example. when my Ex was going to toss in the towel on a Yamaha many years ago, high action, rear bridge soundboard belly, she handed off the guitar to me as a lost cause, much like this Guild come to think of it. I had no intention of doing major surgery at that time and installed the Bridge Dr. Over 3-4 weeks and incremental adjustment, that guitar turned out to be a great living room strummer, albeit with light gauge steel strings, tuned to pitch though. I could gig with it I believe, if I needed an electric/acoustic. (or I'd just bring my Parker deluxe )

BUT I still need a plan to address this, and tonight my plan "A" is to use a penetrating epoxy (west) on the bridge plate area to stabilize the wood. Then I'll fill the the area around the peg holes where needed. Toothpick sized stuff.
Then the Plate Mate. Once installed, I'll test the string and peg fit, just to be certain.
Thats my plan A, tonight. Tomorrows another day but I honestly don't want to pull up more wood than I have to on this top. At the same time I understand the gravity of this decision. Gotta weigh it out. This Guild is only supposed to become a comfortable household player. Makes me laugh because this guitar is going to need frets. I don't own a single fretting tool except the end nipper I ground down to pull #15.

Onward,