View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 04:52 PM

Default All the Best this New Year

All the health and happiness for you and your loved ones to share.

I have un-clamped the latest attempt to flatten the top. I have called it a success. The top is flat and now I can begin on the cracks.

The last bow in the top was very stubborn over a short distance. Flat clamping was making small improvements but I felt I needed to apply a little more persuasion.
Part of my Stu-Mac wood order , in addition to braces, were cleats and a 3 pack of spruce top pieces. I chose the spruce piece that had the most dissimilar grain pattern and sliced it into workable shims and spacers. On the top I supported my 3/4" B/C ply strip at either end with this shim stock. From inside I used a shorter piece of the same ply (about 2 1/2" wide), plus a piece of spruce shim stock directly on top of the inward deflection. The effect was an "over compensating" clamp, actually deflecting the top outward, topside. Just before setting the clamps, I wet the inside area with hot water and brushed it out, & removed the excess. Then the clamps.

This is todays work. A tiny section of the top needs to be glued down. I have the missing piece to go in as well. The crack is being glued prior to braces going in.