View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Ah, the bane of the internet: getting to post opinions without having any actual experience. My hands-on experience with the RainSong I own and the Emeralds I own doesn't play out like what you got from Youtube videos, Randy.

Nothing "boxy" about the Emerald, not even the considerably smaller X7. Certainly not with the X20. I'm no expert on recording for Youtube, but the mic position for the RainSong may not be the optimal position for the X20. I would caution you to not make a buying decision based only on Youtube.

Like many here, I understand that desire to to find the "one true perfect instrument." In reality, my guitar acquisitions have been a journey... not a quest. I see that there are Guitar Centers in Norman, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa - some GCs are stocking RainSong, so it might be worth your while to give each a call to see if they have one (or some) in stock. Short of that, I have two words of advice for you: road trip!

Besides mine, I have had the opportunity to play other RainSongs - all have been very nice guitars, but there are certainly different tones between the models. And definitely differences between the X20 and any RainSong model. While the X20 is my preference (in sound, tone, comfort, and looks), it doesn't mean any of the RainSongs are somehow less.

We all bring our biases and tastes to the forum, but the collective experience of the folks here has been helpful to me. The most important thing in this decision will be how it sounds and feels in your hands.

Good luck with the journey.