View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Personally I do not buy into the myth that a mic can be "to good" for a beginner .
Any more than I buy into the concept that a guitar can be to good

They are just tools, the notion that someone should start with less than the best tool they can afford is specious .

That: said the other side of coin is the notion of work with what you have, just start working , has merit. Especially since you already have the mic's. You are not going to lose out on anything by using them as your learning tools.
I think the 420 and the 170 are fine to get started with. As you said there is lot to learn and those mic are not going to inhibit that in any way.
That does not mean at some point you can't investigate getting something different. But the point is , it's a long journey and it starts with taking a single step at a time .
Thanks. I did the best I could with the mic selection without knowing anything. It's like acoustic guitars; learning what to listen for. I'm pretty good at evaluating guitar sounds now (not guitar recordings) but until recently I could only tell you what I liked, not knowing that an OM had a purposefully different sound than a dread, etc. Same thing with mics.

A couple more questions if you'll indulge me...
Should I be thinking about getting a second mic of either the P170 or P420 to approximate "matched pairs"? Also would I benefit from upgrading my interface? I'm currently running with a M-Audio M-Track, shown below.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS