View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
It looks like they built up some white material and sanded that material flat (Emerald arches their CF buildup instead of using braces like Composite Acoustics or a thick spacer between the inner and outer CF layers like RainSong). The cables at the heads are going the wrong direction. K&K directions say they should go towards the neck and loop back towards the end pin forcing the wires away from the pins. The high e/B head should be located in front of the high e string, not between them. For the RainSong I installed a K&K in, since its soundboard is flat, I used very thick gap filling CA glue in case the surface was not as smooth as ideal. It worked fine. Given how this was installed, I would recommend the Baggs options.
I asked Jack at K&K technical support about my Emerald X20 K&K mini installation. (Jack got the same pictures I posted on this thread.)
I asked, does it matter which direction the wires point ?
Does it matter if the pickups are flipped/positioned 180 degrees ?
I also asked about the pickup position between B/e string ?

Jack said the pickup between B/e string looked fine.
He also said the wires normally do point toward the neck, but they will work fine pointed the other way. It really does not matter which pickup is where as long as they are spaced correctly. Just watch out when you change guitar strings that the beads do not contact the wires as that could produce a buzz when you play.

The K&K wires have not been an issue when changing strings on my X20 and the wires do not move near the string ball area so I doubt they'll hinder in future string changes.

I've not had any issues with the K&K mini system in my X20, IMHO it sounds great.
The K&K mini system in my X7 (Emerald folks installed also) also sounds great, IMHO.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars