View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 02:35 PM

To those who play 12 string primarily, I just have a few questions.

-What guitar or guitars, acoustic or electric, do you play and how do you have yours set up? As in what setup do you use to make it play and feel the way it can?

I prefer to keep things simple and only keep one 12 string and one 6 string. I play out about once a week, and will a folk club. Though, from the looks of it, I might be playing out more often. I tried about 7 different 12 strings before settling on the Taylor. I keep the setup with reasonably low action and switch between .10-.47 elixirs and .11-.50 dean markley strings. I use a fully compensated bone saddle so keep intonation spot on. I use a Paige 12 string capo and sometimes a Kyser 12 string capo, when I need fast changes. My Taylor has the new ES2 and I use a Loudbox mini for amplification/monitor and plug into a PA where available.

-What kinds of regular maintenance and upkeep do you have to do on a 12 string that's more intensive than on a 6 string? The string change on my Alvarez took a whole hour compared to the usual half hour.

I change the strings fairly frequently. I am a bit particular about having fresh strings. Even the elixirs need to be changed every month or so. I use the Ernie Ball electric string winder and a pair of wire cutters. I can get the strings changed, stretched, and tuned, in about 25 minutes. They need to settle over night.

-How has playing 12 string affected the way that you do your arrangements of certain songs compared to the way that you would play a song on a 6 string? I know that I developed a hatred of barre chords on acoustic 12 string but have no problems with them on electric 12 strings.

I think it has definitely changed my approach to solo music. I get a more full sound with simple arrangements and focus on the singing. I do not arrange tunes with barre chords specifically because I don't like the sound of barre chords above the 4th fret. And, they are usually relegated to Bm and F#m, etc. I usually will capo and use open chords because that is where the 12 string excels. I think if you watch the 12 string folk singers from the 60's you'll see the same thing. Also, I have mostly abandoned flat picks. I play with bare fingers in finger style now, ala John Denver. I'll use a flat pick where I need to rock out or play Gordon Lightfoot.

-What advice would you give someone just starting out the 12 string?[/QUOTE]

I would keep an open mind about it. And, I would also not try and force yourself to use a 12 string, if it doesn't feel right. I sometimes feel guilty for not playing the 6 string more, but I suppose once you start arranging songs in your head for 12 strings, it's easy to keep going in that direction. Also, if you plan to play it a lot, get a good one that stays in tune. And I would recommend you buy a Peterson strobo clip, if you haven't already. Once you get used to strobe tuning, it's much easier and faster, which is especially helpful for 12 string playing. Keep it in TUNE, always.

Last edited by martingitdave; 06-11-2014 at 02:50 PM.