View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Julian, thanks for the good wishes for both Brian and me.

Can you say a little more, and maybe show a pic of the 'surface transducer' pickup? I'm imagining something stuck to the top...?
Yes, you're right. it's a transducer that attaches directly to the top. I'm my case the bridge plate (which is typical for these). In our testing we decided to place two wooden shelled transducers in a somewhat unusual spot to get the most accurate sound. I understand from Teddy that the challenge is generally getting adequate bass response. This was less of a problem with mine (I would think this would be true of Leo's as well) because of the already bass heavy response of the guitar.

My guitars are built very similarly to Ervin's in that I want lots of top movement. Specifically the monopole mode of vibration. In other words they're engineered to be more mechanically compliant then a traditional style of guitar. A three dimensional transducer like the Dazzo (which is a derivitive of the FRAP) is capable of being excited by more modes of vibration then an undersaddle transducer like a piezo. In this way it can better read and output the high amplitude movement of my tops. That's the theory anyway.

All that said, this is the first pickup I've used in my guitars and my ability to draw solid conclusions is not there yet. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised. If you're considering amplifing your Buendia it's fairly easy to try a surface transducer like the Dazzo, all you have to do is hold it in place to get a sense of the ideal positioning and then make things semi perminant with glue once you're satisfied.