Thread: String Spacing
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Question, Would it be beneficial to have a shallow slot in the saddle to keep the strings in the proper position and does anyone do this?
Generally, I don't think it is beneficial. In some cases it is done. Once example is where one wants to slightly widen the string spacing or the neck/bridge isn't quite aligned. By notching the saddle, it allows the strings to be "guided" to a position they would not normally maintain.

Quote:
I read somewhere that the low E string should be closer the the edge of the fretboard than the High E.
It is personal preference based on an individual player's style. Typically, players tend to pull strings downward during "descending legatos" (i.e. pull-offs/hammer-offs). This pulls the string downward, requiring less space between the edge of the string and the edge of the fingerboard - practically, the edge of where the fret ends are bevelled - between sixth and first strings. That is, on the sixth string, you are pulling the string downwards away from the edge of the fingerboard while on the first string you are pulling the string towards the edge of the fingerboard.

In instruments that I make, I have four measurements as follows:

A. distance from the edge of the sixth string to the edge of the fingerboard at the nut
B. distance from the edge of the sixth string to the edge of the fingerboard at the 12th fret
C. distance from the edge of the 1st string to the edge of the fingerboard at the nut
D. distance from the edge of the 1st string to the edge of the fingerboard at the 12th fret.

Usually, for the instruments I make, B=A+1mm. D=C+2 mm or 3 mm. C=A+2 mm. There is more room on the 1st string than 6th and more room at the 12 fret than at the nut for the first string. Hope that makes sense. One can make A=B=C=D, or any other combination one wishes.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 03-26-2013 at 10:02 PM.