View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhumphries View Post
I own a Yamaha guitar and until recently I did not know it had a history. It is a Red Label with model number of 'FG-180' and 'Nippon Gakki' which I understand to be the manufacturer's location. My Mom bought this guitar in the late 60's. As a teenager I played this guitar with my Mom in Church. It has a few scratches here and there, but it has been well cared for over the years. I have owned it for 35 years and only pulled it out once or twice a year. A month or so ago, I decided to get serious about playing the guitar and am taking lessons right now. What I am finding is that my stubby fingers cannot handle the neck width. I cannot play an A Major in that small of a place on one fret. So, I have to sell it.

In order to sell the guitar, I need a little more background on it. I have tried all the serial number finders on the web and none of them can tell me in what year my guitar was made. The guitar has a six digit number '905854'. I did contact Yamaha and they told me that it had to be made between 1966 - 1968 because after that period, Yamaha began using eight characters as serial numbers. If anyone has any information about the history of this guitar or an better estimation on when it was manufactured and are willing to share that information, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Bob Humphries
Have a new nut made with wider spacing, as Yamahas tend to be jammed in to the middle, with overly generous insets from the edges of the fretboard.