View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 04:18 PM

As has been mentioned, these are two very different guitars. The 15 series Martins I have played are boxy and biased towards midrange; very bluesy sounding. I have not played a GC3 or GC4 but have played the other models. While Taylors are bright, there is a clarity to the tone. I mention this in every review of Taylors, but they are different guitar without Elixers; much better sounding to my ears.

Neither guitar is going to have more than a tight and audible bass. They have a very focused and direct tone with little overtone and resonance. Without a direct A/B demo, I would still give the nudge to the Taylor because the shortscale lowers string tension which seems to provide a slightly fuller tone as compared to a similar guitar with a standard scale with it higher string tension.

The best comparison I have is my 00028 and GC8. Both are shortscale and spruce over rosewood. They are extremely different guitars. The Martin has more resonance and bass, but a nice midrange and trebles. The Taylor has a tighter more focused tone with more clarity in the projection. Playability, both are a joy. The Martin is a little more forgiving of to occasional tight grip and mildly aggressive attack. The Taylor responds better to a lighter touch and but will handle a slight mid-heavy attack. The Taylor does not tolerate a tight grip well.