View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
My local long time Martin dealer just picked up Taylor and Takanami . For grins he ab'ed the three guitars, with their best pick up systems, through the new Fishman Solo amp. He is a long time player and knows his stuff. Claims the Tak, with cool tube, was hands down the best sounding of the three. Tak was the least expensive to boot. Maybe that is why so many stage musicians play them. Time to sell my Taylors?
Well, I'm a long time player (40 years) and I think I know my stuff too, plus I do sound when I'm not playing. I've also owned 3 Auras and an 814ce along the way, still, all this is, like your dealer................my "opinion", nothing more and nothing less. But I do have experience playing these guitars (the Taks just in demos) and doing sound for them.

To me the Aura is still the best choice after miking but has a "considerable" learning curve, but the complexity can reward you with a very natural sound once dialed in, the anti feedback and tuner are nice features.

I have said it before on this forum the Tak "cooltube" IMO can really give a nice sound, I have more experience doing sounds for Taks than playing them (only own/play Martins) and I like the system, a very close second to the Aura system.

Even though I much prefers Martins over Taylors (personal preference), I might still have the 814ce if it wasn't for the expression system. To me the sound is intentially mid heavy and while it may cut through a band mix, it sounds very "un-natural" to me solo acoustically. Doing sound you can go from an Aura to a Cooltube with minor tweaks, and you are diving for the EQ when an expression system comes on stage. Anyway, my personal experience and opinions.

Ironically I am the headliner this Saturday for the Dallas Songwriters Association and I know there will be Auras, Cooltubes and ES among the performers. Usually they tape, if I can request a composite of a song with each system I will, it would be interesting.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)