View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Minimum saw size should be a 17 inch saw with a 2 horse motor. Grizzly has a number of saws that fit that and are a good purchase for the money.
I have done really well with my 16" Makita resaw. It was designed for 2" wide blades, but I use 1" Lenox Woodmaster CT (carbide tipped) for most of my resawing these days. I have two....one I bought in 1990 and installed a 3 horse motor, and a recently acquired one that now has a 5 horse motor. The 5 horse is running 5000 FPM, while the 3 horse is around 4200.
This saw was only produced for a few years in the late-1980's, but it can occasionally be found on Craigslist. It is similar to the Hitachi CB75 (same 111" blade length), but is cast iron, rather than a steel frame. It is very solidly built, and can tension 1" blades just fine. The depth of cut is 12 1/2".
The usual selling price for the Makita is $700 to $900, with the original motor. It is a universal motor with a gear reduction (same type as on the Hitachi), and IMHO is seriously underpowered. But even with a motor upgrade, you still should be under $1500.

I have cut thousands of red spruce tops and hundreds of rosewood sets on my Makita......not counting all the more 'ordinary' lumber like oak, cherry. holly, walnut, maple, persimmon, etc.