View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post

30 years ago, I was taught a simple method for accurate (equal center) layout. I tried to interest Stew Mac in the idea, but they made it abruptly clear that they had zero interest in it, without even inquiring what the idea was.
My guess is that they were aware that all major manufacturers like Martin, Gibson and Taylor, use equidistant spaces, and the reason they use it is because that is what the overwhelming majority of players are happy with.

The majority of smaller manufacturers, like Bourgeois and Santa Cruz, also use equidistant spaces , the notable exception being Huss and Dalton, who stubbornly adhere to equidistant centers. I have owned two Huss and Dalton guitars, and in both cases I had to fit a new nut to give equidistant spaces. I just find these crowded bass strings intolerable, from both a visual and tactile perspective.

I am aware that a (very) few players do express a preference for equidistant centers, and am also aware that many players don't know and don't care whether the spaces or the centers are equidistant on their guitars.