View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 07:14 AM

QUOTE > zombywoof said: "Any guitar you play the blues on is a blues guitar."

I agree 100%. Also like Blue said, the old blues guys played anything they could get their hands on. If you’re not interested in the “iconic” types that zombywoof shows in the picture above, some more modern choices would be a good Gibson J-45 as listed above. Another great one would be a Guild D-25 (preferably the all Mahogany model). If you want a smaller body, (and can afford one) an old Gibson L shape or that 1927 Santa Cruz are great choices. If you’re on a budget an Epi EL (as mentioned above) is also very nice. Gibson Blues Kings and their Keb Mo model are also very nice. The Martin 00-15 and 000-15 are great. You said you liked the all Mahogany sound; so these two are right up your alley. If you talk to anyone that has one (including me) they’ll tell you that both of these are made to play the Blues. Personally, although they are great guitars, I think the Collings’ are too bright sounding for playing blues.

The best thing to do is get what sounds best to you regardless of size and style. I’ve seen Buddy Guy play blues on a Maple Gibson Jumbo and it sounded great. Buddy also did an album about 10 years ago called “Blues Singer” and all the tunes were done on an old “F” holed arch top; and that sounded great too. Blues also sounds great on an all Mahogany Martin J-15. So I guess the bottom line is the choice is yours.

Just remember the search is part of the fun!