View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 06:41 AM

I've had an FG730S, tobacco burst, for about three years now and I love it. Before I bought it, I compared it to the FS720S, which was about $30 less and, to my ears, the FG730S was just a much better sounding guitar. That could've been an isolated incident.......don't know.

For $200 more than the FG730S, the LS6 is going to give you a wider fretboard made of ebony instead of the rosewood fretboard on the FG. The LS6 is going to have an Englemann spruce top as opposed to the Sitka spruce top on the FG730S. That may be a selling feature for some. I happen to prefer Sitka over Englemann, but that's just me. The LS6 also gives you an ebony bridge and what Yamaha calls their "deluxe" gig bag, whatever that means.

My thoughts on these two guitars would tell me that if you're a finger style player, the LS6 may be the wiser choice. If you play using a pick, the FG730S would probably be the better choice.

As far as overall quality, I don't think either would be better than the other. I know for sure that the quality control and consistency of Yamaha's products is right up there with the best of them.

Either one of these guitars would serve you proudly.

Last edited by Opa John; 10-18-2012 at 06:48 AM.