View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 02:29 PM

Check into local woodworking clubs. Many have communal shops where for a modest annual fee - members can do all sorts of power tool work. Before I moved - I was a member of the local club and I had almost no need of expensive power tools except for my laminate trimmer.

With small band saws - stay away from the cheap ones made of plastic. They are far too flexible and won't cut straight or true for love nor money. Also - with the cheap ones, the bands are generally pretty low quality.... And don't cut well.

Band saws also take a lot of work to get them set up right so they cut properly. There are a million adjustments and you will need to monkey with all of them. Completely different from a table saw - where you square up the blade and off you go.

Literally - not having one is a better option than a cheap band saw because of the trouble they cause.

if you are in that situation - consider a hand held reciprocating jig saw for curvy cuts. They are easy to store and very portable.

Then - use a good quality pull saw such as the "Shark" saw for doing straight cuts. I have cut more headbblocks, tail blocks, neck head plate veneers, butt wedges, neck heels and neck scarf heads with a hand saw than with a power saw. Have even tapered a few neck shafts They don't really take that long.

Thanks