View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha cybershot,

Don't Call Taylor! I have never liked ANY version of Taylor's ES Systems. They cannot compare to Dual-Source Systems at all. Taylor makes decent guitars & lousy pickups. Plus the ES-systems make you put holes in the side of your guitar. ES systems are also proprietary & do allow you to experiment or add stuff down the road.

The only way to keep an acoustic guitar sounding natural through live amplification is to add a mic to the mix. To do that, you need the right controls.

Therefore, Dual-Source Systems are THE WAY TO GO.

If you're gigging solo regularly, a dual source is truly necessary, IMO. Mainly for the room control. I've been using (even building) these systems for 47 years. I would never play out with a single pickup.

If you're playing at home, just use a quality mic. Or if you're after a single pickup, the K&K is the most versatile & most "natural" sounding I have used.

But you need a blending preamp or quality mixer with great EQ that allows you to EQ the two sources separately, then blend, pan & sum.

I have K&K P/U - AKG 416 internal mic combo's in my three gigging guitars. THE BLENDING CONTROLS I USE are a Pendulum SPS-1 blending preamp with fully onboard parametric EQ.

Once I started using the SPS-1, I eliminated all feedback in every live situation and could truly control & maximize my live amplified sound at every gig.

Quality Alternatives: The DPA 4016 is another great internal mic to mix w/ a pickup. Grace offers some great blending preamps as well. Soundcraft & A&H offer the best control among small mixer.

K&K, PUTW, Trance, & Dazzo all make very good SBT pickups. If you like natural acoustic sound, stay away from single pickups, especially UST's & soundhole pickups - the least natural of all. Add a mic!

Good Luck, cyber!

alohachris
Thanks for the info! Yes I think if I were a professional giggin musician I would invest in a dual source system. I really like the D-Tar Multisource which is also called the Seymour Duncan Wavelength Duo!