View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyfamilyvide View Post
I feel like they're more interested in pushing a guitar out the door than they are customer satisfaction, unfortunately. I don't mean to generalize as I know some gc's have great employees, but it has been my experience with them so that is all I have to go by.
This has been my experience as well.

Earlier this year I saw a used Martin on GC's website that was described as being in "Excellent" condition. The pictures of the guitar were consistent with this description except for the picture of the back, which was far too blurry to use to judge condition.

Since the guitar was located at a local GC, I drove down to take a look. Keep in mind that GC describes "Excellent" condition using the following text: "This product is in 'like new' condition and shows little to no signs of use. Free from blemishes, scratches, and user wear. All controls are completely functional." I found this to be a good description of the guitar's condition except for the back, which had a very long, deep scratch running across the length of the lower bout.

I asked the manager about the mismatch between the description of the guitar's condition and the actual condition and was told "If you are worried about scratches, maybe you shouldn't buy used." This sort of attitude made me wonder if the picture of the back of the guitar was intentionally blurry.
Needless to say, I didn't buy anything that day.

I think it's clear that GC employees use a very uncritical eye when evaluating the condition of guitars, and will do whatever they can to get a sale. Personally, I would never buy a guitar from GC without trying it first in person.