View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 AM

I'm not a luthier and I don't play one on TV, but I suspect neck mass/material probably has a significantly larger effect on tone that nuts and saddles. What effect? How much? Who knows? Does a massive neck give you massive tone? I seriously doubt it is anywhere that simple and would bet the farm that if a good luthier wanted a big, fat, low midrange-dominant tone in a guitar with a skinny maple neck, he could do it. Because I'm sure the top and the braces have more impact, by far, than the neck. It's all navel-gazing speculatiion anyway, unless we can figure out how to do a double blind listening test with exactly the same guitar, while rapidly changing necks.

Electric guitars? Pickups win. Hands down. Everything else falls into the "think you might hear" bin.

Acoustic guitars? Strings and picks (and technique of course) have the greatest impact And I can actually test and hear. I just switched to Tusq picks after a couple of decades of 1 mm Clayton Ultems. That difference is immediately obvious and I didn't have to steam the neck loose to test it. Is it better? It is to me or I wouldn't have made the switch. YMMV. But I wouldn't seek out massive mahogany necks wth rosewood boards vs slimmer ones with ebony based on tone. Feel? Absolutely. From there, just listen.

p