View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
My earlier advice about using your mixer for EQ aside, the PZ-Pre brings a number of advantages to the table. As you note, it allows you to switch your whole effects chain on and off at will, allowing you to add or subtract a specific set of effects for, say, a solo or a part of a song. The most recent version of the pedal also allows you to leave the loop on all the time and add just the boost at will. It's key feature is the fact that it has two input channels that can either be selected by footswitch or mixed together (a recessed switch allows you to choses between the two modes). This is great if you play two instruments on stage. The EQ is very good, and it includes a feedback notch and a two-setting HPF.

The pedal also has switches that allow it to use either active or passive pickups in either channel, and you get separate level controls for each channel. Works just fine with the passive K&K Mini. I've used it with the one in my Taylor GS Mini as well as with my Baggs M1, the active PreSys system in my Cordoba GK Studio, the bridge piezo in my Gitane DG-300, and the soundboard and under-saddle pickups in my Godin Multiac nylon. It handles everything just as you'd expect it to. The mute is useful, and it offers 3 different outputs (XLR pre EQ/FX, XLR post EQ/FX, and 1/4" unbalanced for going to an amp--in addition to the tuner out which is an "always on" pre EQ/FX output that's also unaffected by the mute). Very, very solid build and nice layout for the controls (easy to see and to make adjustments). I have two of them, one for each of two pedalboards I use for two different ensembles.

The main drawbacks are 1) it's big and takes up a lot of space on a pedalboard, 2) the EQ is global, so if you're using two different guitars, you need to either find a setting that works for both or you have to set the EQ for one guitar and then either put another EQ in line somewhere to adjust for the other (it's useful to have onboard EQ for one of the guitars if possible), and 3) it takes a 15v power supply, which means you have to use a wall wart or buy a power supply that offers 15v (not many, do and the ones that do are not cheap). The extra voltage is apparently part of the reason the pedal can do so much and do it all so cleanly, but it does present a logistical issue.

Louis
Thanks for the info! I have a decent sized pedal board with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus, which has an outlet on the back I could use, so I think I have the power part covered. I had been thinking about getting a Boss LS-2 line selector pedal specifically for effects switching, so if I found a device that had that built it, that'd certainly be a bonus.

Soundwise, have you compared it to other pre-amp / DI boxes? If so, how does it compare from a tone perspective? I also see some people on Amazon claiming it has some hiss (only a few people report that). Have you noticed that at all?