View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I have had all my guitars refretted to stainless steel or EVO gold and in larger sizes. My favorite size is 0.047 X 0.108.
I've been reading about EVO Copper (AKA EVO Gold) fretwire and think it's the best option. Seems to wear better than nickel-silver and about as well as stainless steel...and is apparently easy to install, whereas SS is difficult and is hard on luthier tools. HERE is an interesting reference (see paragraph 3).

Who makes the EVO fretwire that you use? And is that .047 x .108" EVO or SS?

Quote:
Wider wire feels good under the fingers [...] With taller wire your fingertips are dancing on the frets without contacting the fretboard itself. Less pressure is required for a clean sound, and pull-offs and bends are easier.
I'm confused about that. My guitar has a wider-than-normal neck. The frets measure approximately .050" tall x .100 wide. I don't like the bump-bump-bump when I slide. I also have trouble with barre chords up the neck; I figured that's because the playing surface gets seriously wide up there and my fingers are kinda knobby (large knuckles). My index finger can't fret all strings effectively - flesh and bone don't form a straight-line pressing surface. Per your comments, taller fretwire leaves greater space between string and fretboard when fretting. Would that extra space help compensate for knobby, non-meaty fingers...or would it make barre chords more difficult?

Quote:
[A wide fret] is more likely to intonate incorrectly when worn down, however that is not an issue with the harder wire which lasts and lasts.
I think that's an important point. With setup making such a big difference in playing ease, tone, etc. I'd like to keep that perfected geometry intact for as long as possible. Do luthiers generally install EVO fretwire for the same price as standard nickel-silver?

Last edited by BothHands; 08-18-2015 at 03:56 PM.