View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 06:48 AM

A decent mic that can accurately capture the sound of a guitar makes a huge difference. I'm sure there are a number of X20 owners who play daily that can tell us which video is closest to reality (assuming you have good headphones or speakers connected at home.)

My recordings sound like the first two at the top using my phone or even the mic built into my decent DSLR. When I play the videos back through decent sound equipment, my guitars all sound tinny and klinky compared to the actual sound the guitars produce.

The small mics on phones and cameras are just not designed to handle the musical sound spectrum very well. They are typically optimized to do well with voices speaking and do a good job there.

Anyone doing serious video work will buy decent mics that attach to the camera. They make a huge difference, even though they are not at studio mic quality.

So from the last video using a studio mic, to the first two with built in miniature mics, there is a very large gap in the capability to represent the actual sound, IMO.