View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Buy a charger that pushes at least 15 amps. Larger batteries take too long to charge otherwise. Many people can get by with overnight charging routines but I quickly learned that it's too time intensive and you'll end up wanting your charging done asap.

I use a 25amp charger and it's still not fast enough..
I've never used lithium ion batteries like Danny has, but if you are using a typical sealed lead acid batteries I strongly advise against such high charge rates for several reasons:
1. Battery charge and disharge produces hydrogen. The faster the rate you charge, the higher gassing from the battery. In a very small, poorly ventilated space this can be explosive (I remember the battery well fire on a submarine back in the 80's. Scary). More likely for most of us is the pressure from the H2 builds faster than it can relieve in an SLA which can swell or crack the case.
2. High charge and discharge rate produces lots more heat. Excessive thermal cycles on a battery shortens the life by distorting/cracking the plates.
3. A high charge rate results in a shallow charge. As you charge a battery the terminal and plate to plate potential rises, which resists further charge flow. You get a better charge, capable of supplying the battery's full rating with a slow charge.

I charge all my batteries at 2 A or less. If I absolutely needed the ability to run my inverter for 5 hours and immediately be ready for another 5, I would get another battery and have it charged up and standing by. Both batteries would live a longer life.