View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 04:43 AM

Default McPherson, Batson and Tom Bills Guitars: Care to comment?

Dear all,

As I have come to know, McPherson, Batson and Tom Bills Guitars are pretty unusual - in that they have features (not common to all three) like mis-placed () sound holes, different bracing and cantilevered neck/fret board etc. These features (one to many) are also found in other guitars, but these guitars exhibit an extremist approach towards their implementation.

Now, I believe many of you have played one, two or all three of them. If so, I would like to inquire about your experiences. I have seen/heard their video/audios, and they all seem very good. Of course, all of these do not lake in any way as far as materials and craftsmanship are concerned, so I would like to know how do they compare with traditional (custom or factory made) flattops/archtops, of similar quality.

To elaborate, I would like to know...

1. Does cantilevered neck/fretboard (as in McPherson and Batson) really allow the upper part of sound board to vibrate to a great extent? In principal it does, but does it so in practice?

2. Does absence of soundhole on the soundboard, and related changes in bracing result in 'almost' doubling of sound level (volume) and response? Again, In principal it does, but does it so in practice?

3. The Bridge system in Batson guitars is quite unique in that , it neither pulls (like a flat top) nor push (like an archtop) the soundboard. Does it have significant effects on the tome/volume?

4. Any other point you guys want to make.

Also, there is only one audio-visual sample of Tom Bills guitar (on his site and youtube), so if any one of you know of any other, Please do post.

Further, If you know of any other builder(s) implementing such extreme changes in traditional designs, please do post.

Mitesh

Edit: This is not an attempt to compare the above three guitars, rather these three are mentioned here due to their innovative/non-traditional features. The purpose here is to compare these (and other such guitars with other innovative features) with standard/traditionally built instruments. Thanks to Paje, whose response made me clarify these, if it is not already clear.

Last edited by archtopGeek; 03-20-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Clarification