View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 08:56 PM

Dale, I listen to most all of your Youtube videos (actually subscribed), and being a Jax native of course I did this one as well. Also, being in many bar bands over the years, I too have played so many songs from the Skynrd catalog. Over time, so many bar bands butcher those songs, that a lot of people don't stop to listen to all of the intricacies those guys actually played in their arrangements and kind of dismiss them. As usual, you guys and gals nailed it. Honestly, I think you guys do a better cover than the current touring LS incarnation. You got the tone, the phrasing. Good stuff.
Bob, on the point of Artimus being shot, that story depends on which account of Artimus you find, it has varied. And the band mates as well, for that matter.
A friend of mine recorded on a few Skynrd albums, including Street Survivors. Barry Lee Harwood played dobro on the track "Honky Tonk Night Time Man" on this album. More to the story, of course there always is. He had done sessions with them before, when they eventually asked him about joining the band. He refused them, as at the time he was in a European tour with Melanie Safka (she was actually a pretty big name overseas) and was committed for at least 6 months. So they hired Steve Gaines instead, and of course the rest is history. Later, Barry Lee would play with Allen Collins in the Allen Collins Band, and again as a member of The Rossington Collins Band. There are so many musicians around Jax with ties and stories to Skynyrd.
I recorded with Barry Lee on his solo project a few years ago. I don't play around Jax much since I now live in the Charlotte area, but I will be back in Jville to do a show in December, Barry Lee will be one of my guests, as well as Carol Bristow-Zur ( .38 Special backup singer for 12 years and a few as a Skynyrd backup singer). It's gonna be fun.