View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Build Thread: Indian Hill C.M. Russell GC-12

I have a new project in the works that I'm pretty excited about -- building a guitar that will be part of the C.M. Russell western art auction next spring! This is an annual event held in Great Falls, Montana and is part of the city's long running western art week. Charles M. Russell was a well known western artist that lived from 1864-1926 and the auction is run by the museum dedicated to him and his work.

So, here's where it starts! The wood for this one will be beautiful set of claro walnut for the back and sides with a sitka spruce top...

I almost always bend my sides over a hot pipe, but I recently made a bending mold for my grand concert shape (to save me from the woes of hand-bending curly maple!) and figured if I have it, might as well use it...

For any of you who have followed my other builds, you'll know I'm a fan of laminated sides and this one is no different. I want the sides to be super stiff and act as a rigid base for the top to vibrate on. Here a side is clamped in my lamination mold (which is my regular molded taken apart and folded in half)...

The most exciting part of this guitar for me will be the top -- I'll be trying a wood burning and f-holes! More pictures soon...

Mike
instagram